On April 19, 2004, Borough Council enacted Ordinance #400 electing to administer and enforce the provisions of the Pennsylvania Construction Code, Act #45 of 1999, and adopted the Uniform Construction Code (UCC) as the Borough’s Municipal Building Code.
The purpose of the UCC is to provide uniform standards for builders, greater protection for the owners, occupants, and the general public. It will ensure safe, cost efficient, modern construction standards throughout Pennsylvania by governing the construction, repair, and new occupancy of all structures in Pennsylvania.
The impact on local residents planning a building project will be minimal since the Borough already has a building code inspector in place.
When Do You Need a UCC Building Permit?
RESIDENTIAL (1 and 2-Family Dwellings)
A UCC Building Permit is required if you intend to construct, enlarge, convert, move, demolish or change the occupancy of any residential building or accessory structure regulated by the Uniform Construction Code.
***Even if your project does not require a Building Permit, it may require approval or a Zoning Permit from your Municipality. Always contact the Borough Office before starting any project. ***
UCC BUILDING PERMITS ARE REQUIRED FOR
- ALL New construction (Residential and Commercial)
- Any living space addition or addition connected to your house
- Attached garages (including one attached only by a breezeway)
- Any deck or ramp with a floor over 30” from the ground (attached or detached)
- Any roof repair/replacement of framing when attached to the house
- Any roof addition when attached to the house, including those for decks and porches
- Any detached accessory structure 1000 sq. ft. or more (999 sq. ft and under still requires a Zoning permit)
- Any renovations that change means of egress, move or cut into load-bearing walls, and/or change or move plumbing or electric.
- Furnace or Central Air replacement or new installation.
- All in-ground swimming pools or above-ground pools that have more than 24” of water AND are permanent (pools of any depth or use require Zoning approval)
- Any fence 6’ or more in height (fences of any height require Zoning approval)
- Any masonry or retaining wall 4’ or more in height
COMMERCIAL/INDUSTRIAL and MULTI-FAMILY (3 or more units)
UCC BUILDING PERMITS ARE REQUIRED FOR
- Any renovation (except paint).
* PLEASE NOTE ALL COMMERCIAL/INDUSTRIAL and MULTI-FAMILY (3 OR MORE UNITS) PLANS ARE REQUIRED TO BE SIGNED AND SEALED BY A DESIGN PROFESSIONAL.
If you are unsure whether or not you need a Building Permit or other approvals, contact the CKCOG at 570-522-1326 or 1-877-457-9401, or visit their website at www.ckcog.com.
A ZONING PERMIT IS REQUIRED FOR
ALL TYPES OF CONSTRUCTION, INCLUDING
- Residential—New dwellings, garages(attached or detached),sheds, fences, pools, hot tubs, patio and porch enclosures, decks, additions and some exterior alterations
- All commercial construction including additions, alterations and change of use
- Signs – freestanding AND those attached to buildings, including window signage
- Temporary tents or pavilions for non-residential use
Borough Council Has Adopted and Enforces the Following:
The Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code (Act 45):
- Residential – 2009 IRC
- Commercial – 2009 EBC, with the exception of Chapter 11 and accessibility requirements found in other chapters of the IBC (The 2015 IBC is adopted for accessibility)
- 2009 ICC/ANSI A117.1-2009 Standard for Accessibility
- 2009 IPC
- 2009 IMC
- 2008 NEC
- 2009 IECC
- 2009 IEBC, with the exception of accessibility requirements (The 2015 IEBC is adopted for accessibility)
ZONING ORDINANCE and MAP
Adopted July 06, 2009
CLICK THE LINKS BELOW FOR APPLICATIONS, SUBMIT COMPLETED APPLICATIONS TO MONTOURSVILLE BOROUGH OFFICE
Please contact the Central Keystone Council of Government Codes Office if you plan on doing any of the following:
- Construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure.
- Erect, enlarge, install, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system.
- Erect, install or replace outside storage structure.
- Erect, install or replace sidewalks, curbs or driveways.
- Install or replace central air conditioning.
- Install or replace heating system.
- Install, replace, upgrade or rewire electrical system.
- Install or repair plumbing system
- Install or repair sewer system ( sanitary or storm).
For Information On Any Item Listed Above Please Contact:
David Hines, Zoning Officer / Code Official
Gerry Kilgus, Building Codes Officer
Central Keystone Council of Government
1610 Industrial Blvd, Suite 400A
Lewisburg, PA 17837
M – F ~ 8:30AM – 4:30 PM
Fees: Contact the Borough Office for the current fee schedule – 570-368-2486
Sidewalk, Curb & Driveway Permits
Contact the Borough Office for more information: 570-368-2486